Surfaces contaminated with viruses such as the Coronavirus may infect people touching them or facilitate their spreadability. On non-porous surfaces, the viable virus can be detected for days to weeks. Current small molecules-based disinfectants are effective in cleaning surfaces, but they do not keep them disinfected as they fade away in a matter of few minutes.
Self-disinfecting sprayable functionalized polymers show long-term surface disinfection with high activity for COVID-19, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and others at low concentrations as 60 times lower than the concentration of the commercially available materials and in a short time of 10 minutes with the activity of >99%. These materials are designed with advanced functional groups and also engineered to be water soluble so they can be easily applied and removed as necessary. Also, the material’s safety and nontoxicity were confirmed against several cell types including kidneys, lungs, and skin.
- Straightforward chemistry
- Cheap materials
- Surface disinfection activity is active for a few months
- Very high activity for COVID-19 at low concentration
- Suitable for a variety of surfaces
Applications and Opportunities
- Public spaces – transportation, schools, stores, fitness facilities etc.
- Medical facilities – hospitals and clinics
- Home use – restrooms