High quality energy tunable X-ray sources are important for many applications in various fields of research such as medical diagnostics, material treatment and analysis, food security and many others. Current state-of the-art sources as synchrotron radiation and free-electron laser (FEL) are kilometer scale, extremely expensive and hard to access for standard applications and medical usages. Alternative solutions are under development, and they all still require accelerating high energy electrons, which makes them expensive and large.
This technology offers a novel approach for generating compact and tunable X-ray with several unique advantages and applications by designing atomic super-lattices.
- Enables energy tuning by using different structures with different lattice constants
- High resolution X-ray imaging with high contrast maximal SNR
- Higher power and more efficient X-ray radiation with low energy electrons. Low energy X-ray radiation is less harmful and does not require the same protection measures for the users
- Enables pulsed X-ray sources
- Spatial manipulation in the X-ray source including: shifting, focusing, and applying different spatial functions which enables degree of freedom which was limited up until now
Applications and Opportunities
- Medical Imaging and biological diagnostics with a tunable X-ray source (Improved mammography and X-ray tomography techniques)
- Biological Treatment
- High resolution microscopy: Transmission electron microscopes and Scanning transmission X-ray microscopy for biology, biophysics, medicine, material and environmental sciences (especially analysis of soft matter)
- X- ray crystallography and complex materials analysis methods