Single photon detection at IR range is applicable mostly to short wavelength (NIR) and has low quantum efficiency.
Using the principle of Quantum Cascade Detectors (QCD) in their known design “wastes” photons. However, electrically connecting the stages in parallel, while keeping them connected in series optically, increases the among of mobile charge carriers. This can be done using quantum dots layer which keeps the carriers confined. The device is highly sensitive due to the induction of sustainable positive charge in close proximity to the channel.
- Very high sensitivity
- Wide wavelength detection
- Doesn’t require cryogenic temperature
- Tunability – wavelength, colors etc.
- High quantum efficiency
Applications and Opportunities
- Quantum communication
- Quantum computation and memory
- Very sensitive detection system for medical imaging, astrophysics, spectroscopy etc.