Employment of a bio-inspired approach in which one component will serve both as the roughness and the hydrophobic surface chemistry elements.
Use of various fatty acids as a main component of a superhydrophobic coating for a wide range of substrates. This coating, in addition, renders the surface antibacterial and/or antifungal properties due to its microstructure and intrinsic antibacterial properties. The delivery methods of the coating were developed – it could be easily produced by at least two methods: thermal deposition and solvent-based spray. A method to form such surfaces using a simple and low cost one-step production method.
- FDA approved sprayable, non-toxic, passive superhydrophobic antimicrobial coatings
- one step, one component, and non complicated, low cost production method of super oleophobic surfaces
- Water repellence, for protection of surfaces from humidity damages
- Anti-microbial – preventing the formation of biofilms
- Inhibition of bacterial adhesion on a wide range of surfaces
- Long term efficiency
- Environmentally friendly
Applications and Opportunities
- Effective prevention of biofilm formation on surfaces is a major challenge to all industries affected by bacterial contamination, including medical environment, food packaging & manufacturing , marine and domestic uses